Tuesday 14 March 2017

LO2: Legal and ethical issues


Obscene Publications Act- relates to the publication of obscene content which provides protection against explicit content.
We can not negatively influence readers with explixt,defamitory or violent content. To adhere to this i would need to provide appropriate content for my teenage/student audience (16-21). Due to my genre of music (indie-rock) my audience could be influenced my drugs and alcohol, this is becuase of the places the gigs are held, to adhere to this i would need to make sure i do not promote this behaviour through my language and photographs i use.
As i am interviews a band (The Mayfairs) my audience could be influenced by with they say, this is becuase through the genre of music i am using it could include inapproriate language (such as explitive or discriminatory langauage). To adhere to this i need to censor the quotes and language that is used.

Libel Law- protects against any written defamatory seen in print, writing, or any physical form that can damage a person person's reputation.
For my bodycopy/text i can not publish something which is untrue or defamatory towards someones reputation.
I cannot publish content about my band/artist which is untrue, to adhere to this i will include information which does not damage the reputation of the band/artist. When including information about the band i am  interviewing (The Mayfairs) i will need to get them to proof read my content and sign a release and consent form.
As i am featuring a fictional i will still need to be careful of the content i am publishing of them, this is because it can still damage her repuation due to what i right.
I cannot publish untrue content about gigs and events in my magazine. i will need to publish accurate content about gigs, i will do this by getting reliable sources and reference them.

Copyright- protects the original creators work from being copied and published without consent. we will create all of our own assets, if we were to need to use somebody elses intellectual property than we would have to gain permission from the orignal owner, this may involve paying the orginal owner for the rights.
i will need to get permission for local businesses to advertise, this is because i need them in my magazine to fund it. i would need to get permission to use their photographs and logos, i would get this permission in pre-production as i would need to know which companies are willing to fund my magazine.
To gain permission i would need written consent.
to adhere to copyright most of my graphics,photographs and content is originally designed. i will orinigally desgined my masthead,graphic and layout of my magazine.


Laws of contempt/contempt of court- provides restrictions on what we can report on. i cannot publish anything on a current court case which is too sensasionalisted and which could effect the outcome of the courtcase.
Due to my genre of music (indie-rock) issues such as underage drugs and alcohol abuse.
To adhere to this we use the correct language such as 'allegedly' and 'according'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1689928/first-picture-of-boy-17-who-died-after-taking-drugs-at-leeds-festival/
This example applies to my article as it talks about underage drug use at festivals/gigs, this applies to my magazine as underage drug and alcohol use is common at indie-rock gigs. to adhere to this i will not promote this behaviour or include content about an on going court case.













Ethics- This is content which might offensive/immortal but not illegal.
Ethical issues such as representing a diverse population, to address this i would need to include a wide range of people in my magazine and make such to not discriminatory to a group of people.
i cannot promote drugs/alcohol/violence in my magazine as it could influence my audience. As part of my magazine i could include the 'drink aware' logo, this is because i would need to ensure my audience are responsible



No comments:

Post a Comment